Friday, May 28, 2010

Cognitive Dissonance

I was talking to my Kinesiology partner. She spent most of the class period explaining her Sylvia Plath novels. I pulled out an old psychology textbook to show her. She then pulled out a psychology book her dad bought her the night before.

She told me about cognitive dissonance. Apparently I still don't understand it because I have three different definitions from three different people.

She was explaining this experiment which I pretended to understand. Involving money and people's opinions.

I walked with her down the hall, and I waited for her to finish explaining the concept. I stopped her. I asked her if she would go out with me.

To every girl who reads this, you are a critic.
"Where did you ask her out?" you may say. There is no where, there is only me.

I don't know why, but she paused for a moment, and said yes.

Yes, so, I'm not quite sure where we stand, or what will happen next, but don't be pessimistic, it will work out.

I don't care if it wasn't perfect, the point is I did it the best I could. Vague, and somewhat confusing.

It'll work out, don't pull your bullshit societal rules on me.

I listened to the entire audiobook for Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. Now my morality and perspective is realigned. Fuckin' a, Mr. Savage.

I can't remember the last time I felt this happy for so long. I've never been this stable. I'm afraid something horrible will change everything.

I'm ready to start over.

No comments:

Post a Comment